Input/output error: '/dev/ttyS5

Micah68

When I issue the following command...
sudo python3 tinyfpga-programmer-gui.py --port=/dev/ttyS5 --m4app quickfeather-simple-stream-data-collection.bin --mode m4
...the response is...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/runner/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 322, in open
self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR | os.O_NOCTTY | os.O_NONBLOCK)
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/dev/ttyS5'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "tinyfpga-programmer-gui.py", line 622, in <module>
adapter.program(m4appname, progress, "Programming m4 application with ", args.checkrev, args.update)
File "tinyfpga-programmer-gui.py", line 144, in program
with serial.Serial(self.port[0], 115200, timeout=60, writeTimeout=60) as ser:
File "/home/runner/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/serial/serialutil.py", line 244, in __init__
self.open()
File "/home/runner/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 325, in open
raise SerialException(msg.errno, "could not open port {}: {}".format(self._port, msg))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 5] could not open port /dev/ttyS5: [Errno 5] Input/output error: '/dev/ttyS5'
murthy.vedula

The error indicates no serial device is attached to /dev/ttyS5. Please verify that valid serial device is used in the command line.
Micah68

Thank you that was helpful. I am running UBUNTU on top of Windows. I selected to run as->Administrator when I started up UBUNTU. When that happened I was able to get path the permission denied error.