Trying to set up Symbiflow

otto9Q9otto

Software is not my, um, strong point. I am following directions to set up Symbiflow as described here https://symbiflow.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... repository. I cloned the GitHub repository, unzipped the file to the new directory. The screenshot is attached. My problem is the next step which is, in terminal, type "make env". This is the result:

otto@juice:~/Documents/symbiflow-arch-defs$ make env
git submodule init
make: git: Command not found
Makefile:10: third_party/make-env/conda.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile:7: third_party/make-env/conda.mk] Error 127

Time to ask an expert, or at least, someone who has been here.

My system is Linux Mint 20.
Attachments
symbiflow.png
symbiflow.png (170.51 KiB) Viewed 20472 times
mithro

Hi!

The error you are seeing is because it doesn't seem like git is installed on your system, see the error message;
make: git: Command not found
On a side note, the instructions you are following are for getting set up as a SymbiFlow Developer, (IE you want to help do development on the toolchain) rather than a SymbiFlow user (I just want to use an existing FPGA that I have).

Assuming you just want to use an existing QuickFeather board, you should probably look at one of the following repositories; Hope that helps!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell
otto9Q9otto

Following directions https://github.com/QuickLogic-Corp/quic ... -toolchain, in terminal I entered

Code: Select all

otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow$ export INSTALL_DIR=~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow
More than a dozen software packages was then installed, including python. It sort of looks like I am being set up as a developer, but that's OK.

Then I tried the first example:

otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow/install/tests/counter_16bit$ ql_symbiflow -compile -d ql-eos-s3 -P pd64 -v counter_16bit.v -t top -p chandalar.pcf 
bash: ql_symbiflow: command not found
What do I do now?
kkumar

Hi otto9Q9otto,
Yes there are many dependent packages that gets installed. once you finish with installation , to run the example follow these steps:
#To Run example
export INSTALL_DIR="specify the installpath"
export PATH="$INSTALL_DIR/install/bin:$INSTALL_DIR/install/bin/python:$PATH"
source "$INSTALL_DIR/conda/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"
conda activate

and then:
ql_symbiflow -compile -d ql-eos-s3 -P pd64 -v counter_16bit.v -t top -p chandalar.pcf
otto9Q9otto

Hi kkumar,

Your suggestion worked up to the point indicated:

otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow/install$ export INSTALL_DIR=~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow/install/tests/counter_16bit
otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow/install$ export PATH="$INSTALL_DIR/install/bin:$INSTALL_DIR/install/bin/python:$PATH"
otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow/install$ source "$INSTALL_DIR/conda/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"
bash: /home/otto/Documents/verilog/symbiflow/install/tests/counter_16bit/conda/etc/profile.d/conda.sh: No such file or directory
What should I do now?
kkumar

Hi,
The steps are right, but the export INSTALL_DIR, which you have mentioned is for example directory. It should point to the location where the installation was carried out. It would have the folders conda and install. In your case it is : INSTALL_DIR=~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow
otto9Q9otto

Thanks, kkumar for the hand-holding. For the benefit of others who may be similarly clueless, here is what worked (on Linux Mint 20):

At https://github.com/QuickLogic-Corp/quic ... -toolchain: There is the direction:

export INSTALL_DIR="specify the installpath"
bash Symbiflow_v1.3.0.gz.run
I chose the /home/otto/Documents/verilog/symbiflow for the installation, so my version is:

otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow$ export INSTALL_DIR=~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow
bash Symbiflow_v1.3.0.gz.run
More than a dozen packages were installed, but kkumar said not to worry.

Now to run an example:

In terminal, change directory to ~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow, then:

otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow$ export PATH="$INSTALL_DIR/install/bin:$INSTALL_DIR/install/bin/python:$PATH"
otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow$ source "$INSTALL_DIR/conda/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"
otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow$ conda activate
otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow$ source "$INSTALL_DIR/conda/etc/profile.d/conda.sh"
otto@juice:~/Documents/verilog/symbiflow$ ql_symbiflow -compile -d ql-eos-s3 -P pd64 -v counter_16bit.v -t top -p chandalar.pcf
Which then did a lot of stuff, and ended with:

Writing bitstream ...
Success!